Sausage and Roast Veg Recipe
I don't know about you, but things around here can get pretty hectic when it's time for dinner mid-week. I try to cook from scratch every day, but finding recipes that I can just leave in the oven while I'm getting on with other things is a necessity if I'm ever going to get any sleep or see Mr CC. I've played around with this recipe for a while, and I usually change 1 or 2 ingredients depending on what's in the cupboard or veg box, but it's so easily adaptable that this is never an issue. I'm a big believer in local and seasonal produce, so if you're anything like me this may affect what you include as well. I find courgettes are often too mushy, and anything leafy just burns, but mushrooms work well, as do kohl rabi, carrots, beetroot etc.
Sausage and Roast Veg
Ingredients (to serve 2):
- 4-6 sausages (preferably from your local butcher)
- 4 large / 6 medium potatoes
- 2 medium onions
- 2 bell peppers
- A handful of other veg
- 3 sprigs of rosemary and a sprinkle of thyme
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/392°F.
- Peel and chop the potatoes into medium-sized chunks.
- Add the potatoes to a pan of cold water and bring to the boil. Leave to boil for another 2-3 minutes.
- Drain and shake the potatoes in the pan so that they have fluffy edges.
- Add a little oil, salt, thyme and the rosemary to a roasting tray. Place in the oven for 1-2 minutes until sizzling.
- Add the potatoes and shake so they are well covered with oil - cook for 20 minutes..
- At this stage also put the sausages in the oven on a separate baking tray.
- While the sausages and potatoes are cooking, prepare the veg: wash, peel and chop into medium-sized chunks. Half the onions.
- After the 20 minutes is up, turn over the sausages and give the potatoes a good shake (you may have to scrape them from the bottom at this stage - but that just means they'll be extra crispy!
- Add the veg to the roasting tray with the potatoes (if you're doing this for any more than 2 people, you'll need a separate roasting tray for the veg) and coat with another layer of oil. Season well.
- Cook for a further 20 minutes, or longer depending on your oven. The veg should be crisp and the sausages browned.
- Serve plated up for dinner or in pitta breads for an informal get-together.
I'm hungry just thinking about this now. Enjoy!