I've been inspired by Vivatramp to start a new blog series to do with another of my favourite things - lists. I have lived my life through lists at times: to do lists, shopping lists, life lists, lists for lists, the list goes on... In fact I find they focus me like no other organisational method can, so I will unashamedly admit to being a list addict.
This series of lists will guide me through each month of the year, and although these ideas already exist in my ever-growing pile of notebooks, it seems more definite and concrete to share them with you all on here. So here goes.
- Make more time for reading. Having a full time job plus blogging and the upkeep of our house and garden, really does reduce the amount of time I have left for reading. It's something that I have always done at night in bed, just before falling asleep; it would calm my senses before enabling me to happily drift off. Unfortunately, my body clock is rebelling. Now, as soon as my head hits the pillow I switch off and all hopes of reading drift away with consciousness. I need to fall back into better reading habits so that I can really enjoy the sensation of losing myself in a gripping tale.
- Blog at least 5 times a week. I know that if I say just 2 or 3, then I'll lose focus, hence the optimistic statistic. I work much better when I have a set routine; I like to know what's happening when, and that means my weekdays should ideally follow a similar structure. I'm also supposed to be eating porridge every morning in an attempt to have a healthy breakfast, but that's not really working. More structure required!
- Live in an organised house, rather than organised chaos. Reading the previous goal, you'd be forgiven for thinking that I live in an extremely organised house. You wouldn't be the first to make that mistake. My house is organised for approximately 20% of the time; at weekends I will often get a sudden but bursting urge to tidy, clean and sort out everything in sight. This will tire me out so much, that the house will be neglected for the rest of the week. So the plan is to do little and often. We shall see.
- Carry out random acts of kindness. This needs little explanation; I am quite good at remembering birthdays, anniversaries etc. but I really would like to cheer people's days for no other reason other than genuine kindness. Probably the most important of my goals this month.
- Stop slouching. Must. Stop. Slouching. On. Sofa. My sofa is the best sofa in existence if you want to lounge around, sleep, stretch out... but I need to learn that the desk is much more suitable for blogging and work, especially because I occasionally suffer from lower back pain. That said, I am often quite lazy once I'm settled in a certain location, and am currently writing this post while stretched out on the sofa. Not a great start.
Do you have any goals to share? Please leave links and / or ideas below!
Eleanor is obsessed with stories. She writes for a number of online spaces including This is Your Kingdom, edits Creative Countryside, curates #aseasonalyear and teaches at Chalk House. In addition, she is currently studying for an MA in Creative Non-Fiction Writing. You'll find her roving the fields of the Lincolnshire Wolds or planning her next rural adventure.